Home > Project Updates > FacePAD downloading Small Thumbnails

FacePAD downloading Small Thumbnails

Hey everyone,

I’ve received a lot of messages and emails recently about FacePAD downloading small thumbnails instead of full size pictures. The problem only affects albums created in the last week and all new albums that ahve been created after facebook rolled out it’s new design. The issue is as follows:

Old albums had the following format for pictures:


New albums have the following format for pictures:


For some reason my wild-card approach at downloading pictures is only downloading thumbnails.

Just so you know, the problem is making the extension compatible with both file types. The upside is that all large pictures have an ‘n’ in the *.jpg filename, so exploiting that property is the best case scenario.

I’ll try to have a fix for this tonight.

Thank you everyone for bringing this to my attention!

Categories: Project Updates
  1. Willis Hsu
    March 18, 2009 at 10:06 pm

    May the force be with you buddy!


  2. Willis
    March 23, 2009 at 8:17 pm

    Any luck bud on the above?

  3. March 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm


    Not having much luck yet. I tried for an hour the other day because I theoretically know what needs to be fixed, but it’s not working. Not much time to try until after this Friday – busy busy week.

    Sorry man 😦

    I’ll contact you (via twitter or email) once I figure it out.

  4. Willis
    March 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm

    Cheerios mate!

    Look forward to hearing from ya πŸ˜€

  5. lysp
    March 25, 2009 at 3:57 am

    This should fix it:

    saveURL(photos[i].replace(/_s.jpg/, “_n.jpg”).replace(/\/s/g, “/n”), null, null, false, true, null);

    • Willis Hsu
      March 25, 2009 at 6:15 am

      I don’t follow mate is that some form of programming?

  6. March 25, 2009 at 7:24 am

    Hah, that would fix it, except the code looks like this at the moment, at least my latest attempt:

    This is the line that needs to be modified:
    photoURL = /(http:\/\/photos-.*?\/.*?\/.*?\/.*?\_n\.jpg)/g;

  7. lysp
    March 26, 2009 at 5:20 am

    The only change i made was to the saveURL line to your original code in 0.5.5.

    Works fine for me.

  8. March 26, 2009 at 8:27 am

    Ah ok, I see it now. I was effing around with a different portion of the code, stupid me.

    Thanks man!

  9. Willis
    March 26, 2009 at 5:18 pm

    I take it that means you guys have a solution now? πŸ˜€

  10. March 26, 2009 at 8:59 pm


    This change you made isn’t working, nor is it giving errors in the javascript console lol. Can you email me your repackaged .xpi so I can check it out, there must have been another change somewhere…

  11. March 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

    Nothing usefull of this plugin, it downloads the pics but in a resolution o 1 pixel per kilometer. Pitty !!! I was hoping something better!!!

  12. horacioliva
    March 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm

    It’s a shame!
    Very usefull extension, i’m hoping your solution man…
    Best of lucks…
    Greets from Argentina-Cordoba πŸ˜‰

  13. March 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm

    Alright everyone, the extension ahs been fixed. I’m submitting it to Mozilla RIGHT NOW πŸ™‚

    Hopefully it’ll go through the queue quickly!

  14. Willis
    March 29, 2009 at 8:24 pm

    Cool man!!! Fingers crossed πŸ˜€


  15. Willis
    April 1, 2009 at 3:46 pm

    Sweet as it’s working now!

    You rule mate πŸ˜€

    Big ups from New Zealand out to ya!

  16. lysp
    April 22, 2009 at 4:40 am

    Sorry i missed the reply. Noticed you sent the new version through so i guess you worked it out in the end πŸ™‚

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s